Love it, hate it or something in between, each year since 1985 October has been painted pink in honor of breast cancer awareness. But many survivors may feel they are more than well aware of cancer. So, for you as a cancer survivor, what is…
Beyond the Pink?
It is instrumental in creating change. Let’s agree that the Pink Month serves a purpose…prevention through education. No doubt, over the years the October campaigns have contributed significantly to supporting women in being pro-active about getting checked and they deserve our ongoing support. There is always someone, somewhere in this country who hasn’t yet heard the message.
Feel like you’ve heard all this before? Maybe you have…but are you putting it into practice what you know?
Beyond awareness is ~ conscious choice
Be honest with yourself and ask, do I:
- schedule monthly self-exams and regular medical check ups. Have you seen the cool new tools from Keep A Breast Foundation? Self-exam instructions can be found here or you can download their new phone app via iTunes here.
- follow through on the survivorship care plan my doctor gave me? What’s a survivorship plan? If you’re done treatment and don’t know or don’t have one, it’s up to you to get informed and ask for one. Want some coaching on how to make this happen? Just post a request below in the comments or check out Livestrong’s resource for care plans here.
- complete the recommended exercise guidelines that can cut recurrence of some cancers up to 50%.
- eat according to nutritional guidelines to get to or maintain your body weight in a healthy BMI range and other key indicators such as blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. Best to check with your physician for this information.
Knowing isn’t enough. You’ve got to take action. And if you want to create sustainable change, a key component to coaching, it will require ~ inspired actions
What inspired actions will you take to create changes that support living beyond the Pink….beyond any politics, color-themed months or good intentions to take preventative measures?
You have the power to turn the month of Pink into one of action and change….the steps beyond being informed and aware. Here’s how…
- Choose one healthy lifestyle change you want to make. For example, are you meeting the minimum recommended amount of weekly exercise?
- How is it a win for you to make this change?
- What could it cost you if you don’t?
- What steps do you need to take to put your plan into action (estimate time, tools, support, other resources required)?
- Mark your action steps on your calendar.
- Grab a partner to hold you accountable.
- Celebrate your wins and if you get stuck or stopped, ask for help.
- Don’t feel like it’s forever. Just be willing to experiment for 30 days, then check in and ask yourself, “is this working for me?”
One change at a time. When you’re able to sustain that, you can use the same process and take on your next challenge. Your new success equation:
awareness + conscious choice + inspired actions = sustainable changes
…a formula you to help you think beyond pink this month and invest your energy and focus into proactively being the difference you want to see in your own life.
Some Additional Resources:
6 Ways to Lower Your Breast Cancer Risk ~ tips on prevention
Study: Exercise Can Lower Cancer Recurrence ~ data the positive impact of exercise and prevention
Is Today The Day? ~ inspirational blog post to get you going with your new plan